"but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will
soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and
not be faint."


Monday, November 12, 2012

Every Tree Has A Story

Today, many of my friends and family thought that I had lost my marbles. You see, today I took all of the Christmas decorations out of their boxes and began decorating for the upcoming Christmas season. I know that Thanksgiving has not yet been celebrated, but there is hope in those decorations that cannot be explained, nor could I deny wanting to see that hope again. Putting up those decorations was a symbol of hope, as well as remembrance. Hope for the future (full of God's love, mercy, grace, and forgiveness) and remembrance of my Grandparents (through Shiny Brite ornaments).

As I was putting up the final ornament on the tree, an antique gold bell from my Great-Grandmother, I realized that every tree has a story to tell. For some the story is simply to be the most grand or elaborate tree around. For others, it is a story of growing as a  family. And still for some, it is a story about the remembrance of those who are no longer on this earth and how we (as a family) have moved on since their passing.

The tree I decorated this year, with 95% Shiny Brite ornaments, is a tree of remembrance. My Grandma loved Shiny Brite ornaments, so as I placed each ornament on the tree it was as if my Grandma was still with us, resting in the joy that surrounds the holiday season.

As I thought about the tree I had decorated, and the other trees yet to be decorated, I had one question. If Mary had decorated a tree, what kind of tree would it have been? After thinking for a moment, the answer was quite clear. Mary's tree would have been all of the above. You see, Mary's tree would have been the grandest of the them all (since her Son was the Prince of Peace), while still showing how her family grew over the years, before finally her tree became the ultimate form of remembrance...the cross Jesus died upon.

It never registered to me, until now, that the very symbol (a tree) we use to decorate our homes for around Christmas, once stripped down, is the very thing that Jesus, our Lord and Savior, died upon so we could receive God's inheritance. What a wonderful, and hopeful, connection between the two stories.

My question for you, brothers and sisters, is "what kind of tree is yours?"

Brothers and sisters, as you decorate for this Christmas season I pray that the love, joy, and hope of our Savior is ever present within your hearts and homes. And I pray, that your tree is a tree that embodies every quality of our Lord and Savior.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. ~Isaiah 9:6-7 (NIV 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment